Thursday, August 23, 2012

Waning Summer



I have read that the song cycle of the nightingale lasts three minutes whilst that of the whale lasts twenty-four hours. Once slowed down and sped up respectively, they are apparently very similar. Maybe as human beings we are simply on varying frequencies of song. Perhaps the way we use language ... to speak, to write, to dream, to think ... is like a sonic map of our personalities. I am a woman who needs solitude at times.

As summer wanes and the drowsy, full-blown ripeness of August comes to an end, I look forward to crisp the September days.

(My grandson J, contemplates a butterfly.)

5 comments:

  1. "Maybe as human beings we are simply on varying frequencies of song."

    I'd like to include you in the roll-call, Jo. Your way with words has been sorely missed. However, is there anything more important than time spent with loved ones? I don't think so.

    Looking forward to having you calling round again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My song cycle needs solitude, at times, as well. I must agree with Martin, I have missed your beautiful, inspiring posts, as well. Bring on those crisp days!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've also had a lovely but hectic summer, traveling with grandchildren, babysitting grandchildren and taking care of Dad. I've also missed my solitude and my time to write, but I can tell you that you cannot go back and make up missed opportunities. My oldest granddaughter is 18. I wish I could go back and spend more time with her younger self--just playing games and taking walks and hanging out.

    Thanks for the shout out! We missed you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just so you know, I mentioned "cutecumbers" in my post tonight and linked to you. We've been saying it all summer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. And here is another one looking forward to hearing your words again. Welcome back.

    ReplyDelete