Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Morning Witness


I am given a moment every morning that lights me from head to foot, charges my batteries, and makes my senses dance. What did I ever do to deserve this?

Most days I awaken around 6:30 and amble to the kitchen to start a pot of coffee. The world outside my windows is still in darkness, the features nebulous, bosky and undifferentiated to the early morning eye. A gentle silence reigns. The stillness which is draped over everything is the perfect companion to begin the day.

I usually sip my first coffee standing by the window. As the sun rises over the horizon, the day's first light peers through the trees, pokes its way through the iron railings on the patio and paints the walls with rosy fingers and a wide brush. A delicious warmth creeps over my body. It is a mixture of the fragrant, the visual, and the embraced.

I find often the most beautiful stories are written in darkness, exposed by the sun, augmented by shadows, then gone. Each sunrise is different, and every single one is a gift. Ready or not, here comes another day. Here I come too, perhaps not as filled with light as the morning sky, but working on it in my own peculiar fashion.

I wonder how our ancient kin would have described such luminosity? There may have been a paucity of descriptive terms and expressions for such experiences in the long ago, but we are united across time and space in the unspoken language of wonder. In my mind, I can see them standing somewhere quietly on a summer morning long ago, as entranced and comforted by the deep glow, as I am here today.

5 comments:

  1. I often wonder if my ancestors felt the same wonder as I do. Lovely post. (you rise with the chickens!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the way you describe the sunrise. I see far too few of them. I suspect I am more of the sunset temperament (and lifestyle) and tend to celebrate another day successfully survived rather than another day's challenges starting. I have just re-read that and it makes me sound as though I am a pessimist or a depressive, I'm not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Early Hours Are Magical.Although Awake, It's almost as if Our World itself is dreaming.
    Lovely Post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Willow: Thank you. I have always been an early riser. I am so cnditioned to it that I no longer need an alarm clock!

    Alan: Nothing I have ever read of yours indicates a pessimistic or depressed man. In fact, quite the opposite! I'm greedy ... I enjoy sunset just as much as sunrise.

    Tony: "It's almost as if Our World itself is dreaming." Wow. That's just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I love those early morning hours for writing especially--lately have been sleeping in & missing them! Beautifully expressed.

    ReplyDelete